Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Decorating Delimmas Party...Round 5!

Today I am not going to be tardy to the Party! I am participating in Amanda's Decorating Dilemmas (or in my case, Solution) Party:

NEW HOPE for this CHEST!
Isn't this delightful? In an 80's kind of way? This isn't a photo of my actual Hope Chest (do people still call them that?), as I got all caught up in my project and forgot to take a before photo, but this is very similar to what I started with...except this sad fabric is way, way better than what I actually started with ~ yes, it was THAT bad. The oak finish is the same, and the lovely handles are identical as well, so work with me here.
You may even be wondering why I would bother to redo this chest, but it really does have a deep sentimental value to me as my DH bought it for me one Christmas when we were dating. It is a cedar lined Lane Hope Chest. It currently holds all kinds of memories from our life together and I don't think I could ever bring myself to get rid of it. Although I can't part with it, I was for sure convinced it needed a face lift.
So, I grabbed some fabric, light grained sand paper, wood filler, tack cloth, black paint, natural cherry stain, new knobs, and in 8 easy steps I had a "new" chest.
  1. First, I removed the upholstered top and recovered with fabric using a staple gun
  2. Next, removed original handles and filled holes with wood filler/Spackle and let dry (the original handles had 2 screws but the new ones only had 1)
  3. Lightly sanded the original oak finish to make it adhere to the paint better and to smooth out where I had filled the handle screw holes
  4. Wiped it all down with a tack cloth to remove any sanding residue
  5. Painted with fast drying black latex paint (2 coats) - let dry
  6. Brushed on 1 coat of Minwax Polyshades (stain & solyurethane in 1) of natural cherry satin stain on the lip below where the upholster top, which I wanted to leave wood grain but needed it to be redder than the original oak finish to coordinate with my new knobs - let dry
  7. Re-attached upholstered top
  8. Drilled holes for new knobs and attached!


Cost of project, less than $20! Time, less than 1 day depending on drying time!


  1. Great job! It looks fabulous now!


  2. I love redoing furniture that means something! The dresser in my lil girl's room was my great grandmothers and had been pasted from about 5 different family members when I ended up with it! A coat of pink paint with a crackle finish and some glass knobs and it has never looked better! Plus a free dresser...who can beat that?
    And I still call it a hope chest :) wish I had one!

  3. OMG, I remember when EVERYONE had a hope chest. You know, I don't hear about them anymore, guess they are outdated now?
    Love the changes you made! I may have to go collect my chest from my parent's house and do a little work on it!

  4. I'm so gonna update my hope chest. It is too sentimental to discard, but not modern enough for my decor.

  5. Oh wow, I love it! I've always wanted a little storage bench at the foot of our bed... but alas, it's just another design-emergency lurking in my already-in-desperate-need-of-help bedroom!!!

    Confessions From A Working Mom

  6. LOVE it!!! You did an awesome job with the new fits now--doesn't look like it came over in Time Machine from the 80s. ;) Fabulous!

    Thanks for linking up. :)

  7. Hmm... I guess I need to pull my hope chest (early 90s version) out of the attic! Yours looks great!!

  8. i have a lane hope chest that i've had since i was fifteen. you have inspired me to paint and recover mine! i can't wait to get started!!

  9. The project turned out great!! I am loving your blog :)


Thank you for stopping by...leave a little of your sparkle before you go!